Monday, November 12, 2018

 A change of direction.... 

On my way to a writer’s retreat, I was in a deep state of writer’s block. I had no idea what to work on as others pounded away on their keyboards. Two days before I was to leave, a story landed on my head with such a thud, I couldn’t escape it. And it hung on to my hair as if it had talons. I knew I had to write this story.

I could see my young heroine looking out over a dying ranch, a decaying stable, and no horses. I noted it was in black and white, making me aware it was historical. Like what we’d see on the old black and white TV sets with rabbit ears. 

So, I gave it a shot. I let the heroine whisper her story into my ear as I tapped away on my keyboard. That retreat was a change in direction for my writing and I felt I was constructing a book straight from my heart. I have loved every step of this journey.