Writing is a weird profession because we as authors, write because we have to, we're driven to tell our stories or live with these characters rambling about our brains forever. The only way to end a relationship with a character is to publish them in a book. Then they are carved into history, to never again be--eek!--edited! I remember reading an interview almost thirty years ago with Sidney Sheldon. He was asked, "When do you know a book is finished?"
He replied, "It never is. I could take it off the shelf now and start revising."
I never forgot that statement because how true that is of writing. We're no different than the artist that can't stop dabbing on more and more paint, until the essence of the picture is gone. Writing is no different. When do we know they are done and ready to go to press? When the deadline has arrived and the galleys are in your hands. That's the last chance to make changes. But rejoice in the process, for that is the only way for them to pack their bags and leave your brain.
I remember when I was working on Southern Moon, revising for the millionth time when it dawned on me I couldn't write anything else because this book had my compete attention at all times. I decided I had to publish it, or I'd never move forward in my career as a writer. I submitted to The Wild Rose Press. They bought it within 24 hours. Elizabeth and Brandt (heroine and hero) were so excited they were dancing at the door. But my heart started to break. I told them to wait a minute, not so fast, it was hard to say goodbye. They sat around on their trunks, waiting for me to muster the courage to let them go. It took awhile, but finally I opened the door and they marched through.
I will always miss having them around. They are still my favorite characters.
